Your email address will not be published. I thought I had my calculations correct, but something didn’t add up. Then a strip if thin matching wood was put over the two connected sides to cover the seam. Thanks! Laura wanted the bookcase to look like it had always been there and have that “built-in” appearance so we had the challenge of matching the existing base board and crown molding. Now I’m of, This error message is only visible to WordPress admins, Sign-up for our newsletter to be the first to know about. It’s true. Apply wood glue to the back of both the “left” and “right” pieces of crown molding. IKEA Billy Bookcase to Drawer Hack. Carefully cut through the crown molding along the line. Remember these Ikea Billy bookcases? © Copyright 2020 Hearst Communications, Inc. Rather than going with an Ikea pantry… Cecilia Harsch has been writing professionally since 2009. * update: many asked about paint colors. How to Add Crown Molding to a Billy Bookcase 1. Smooth out the caulk with your finger. Mark the actual width measurement, without the added inches, on the front of your cut piece of molding. Insert the handle end of the saw in the far left 45-degree slot marked on the front wall of the box. Paint or stain the crown molding to match your Billy bookcase. Again, I’m no mathematician, and I don’t own a protractor, so it was a game of trial and error until I got the right cut for the beveled triangle piece. And then we added another piece of shoe molding to the top to hide the gap between the 1 x 8 and the bookcase. Mark the actual depth measurement on the back of the cut pieces of molding. The next day I painted two coats over the entire base and the entire moulding on top of the bookcases with the color matched paint. It was a painful process and took me 2 hours per bookcase. Smooth the dried putty and crown molding with 220-grit sandpaper. Cut a length of crown molding equal to your width measurement plus the 2 inches. So we added a 1 x 8 pine board, inset 2″ from the front of the bookcase. Insert the handle end of the saw in the far right 45-degree slot marked on the front wall of the box. DIY - Billy Regale Ideen ... How to use some crown molding and baseboard trim to make Ikea PAX look like custom cabinetry. Sign-up for our newsletter to be the first to know about new arrivals, sales, and promotions. Adding drawers to billy bookcase IKEA hack - billy bookcase drawers tutorial from Infarrantly Creative Schubladen, Kinder Bett, .. Add major storage to your home with these simple IKEA hacks. I shared all the how-to’s in the post linked above, putting the Billy bookcases together. Insert the tip of the miter saw in the far right 45-degree slot marked on the rear wall of the miter box. Transfer the bookcase depth measurements to the back of your crown molding. Glue pieces B to the top edges of the bookcases. White paint, color matched to the bookcase. Once the top horizontal molding has dried enough that it’s stable, add the crown molding piece in the same fashion (clamps really are a necessity for this step to keep it level). Your email address will not be published. Position the molding on the top right and left sides of the Billy bookcase. Tack the crown molding to the front of the bookcase with the finishing nails. Insert the tip of the miter saw in the far left 45-degree slot marked on the rear wall of the miter box. Add caulk to any obvious gaps between the pieces of wood. If this is your first crown-molding project, don’t be intimidated, the profile of the crown is already cut. Use the tack hammer to tap the setter until the nail heads sink beneath the surface of the crown molding. Clamp them together and then screw them together and to the wall. Line up the marked cut line on the right end of the piece of molding with the miter saw blade. Its still IKEA press-board. BILLY Becomes a Dresser. There is a 1 x 2 in the back, on the other side, behind the 1 x 8 to stabilize it. Nail that molding to the wood blocks previously installed. We’re in love. The crown molding wasn’t too hard to find a replica. Fill the nail head holes and the crown molding seams with wood putty. Thus, you can make a cheap bookcase look more expensive by adding molding—even if it starts as an everyday laminate piece. Basic bookcase(s) Crown molding of your choice- measure the linear feet around top of bookcase and add the breadth or height of the crown molding for each outer corner (then add 10% just in case) Additional flat stock molding and lattice if adding more detail (more on this below) Nail gun with compressor; Compound Miter Saw; Wood glue; Wood putty; Caulk Carefully cut through the crown molding along the line. Insert the tip of the miter saw in the far left 45-degree slot marked on the rear wall of the miter box. Aug 8, 2018 - Explore Tina P's board "Adding crown moulding to plain shelves" on Pinterest. Hold the “right” piece of crown molding against the rear wall of the miter box. I used the molding to overlap a bit and cover the creases between my vertical and horizontal slats. Caulk. Simply add crown molding or trim big enough to fill that gap and voila! Use your fingers to apply and spread the putty. A few readers asked for full view shots of the bookcases, which you’ll see today as I’m sharing how I added beveled crown moulding to these Ikea Billy bookcases, which happened by complete accident! Have I mentioned I love Ikea? Step by step tutorial. Once you have your bookshelf in your space, adding crown molding can make all the difference in making your bookshelf look like it’s built in. Cut list: A) cut two 11″ pieces of the 1″x4″ board. Apply wood glue to the back of the crown molding. Glue and nail piece D to the front of the bookcase. Hold the front side of the “left” piece of crown molding upright against the rear wall of a miter box. She has several years of experience in the home-improvement industry, focusing on gardening, and a background in group exercise instruction. Insert the handle end of the saw in the far left 45-degree slot marked on the front wall of the box. Insert the handle end of the saw in the far right 45-degree slot marked on the front wall of the box. Amazing, did you do those mitres yourself? If you’re tired of living among piles of books and decoration items, it’s time for … Carefully cut through the crown molding along the line. Now it was go time, I centered the crown molding and put the first finish nail in. Your bookcase looks like it’s a built in. If you prefer not to have a beveled corner edge, just cut the pieces of crown moulding at an angle of 45-degrees, it should give you pointed edges that meet, instead of what I ended up with. Next it was time to hide the seams between the bookcases with thin wood called “latices” Nail to the tops of the bookcases, as well as the top of the wood pieces that are attached to the ceiling. Crown moulding, also known as ceiling trim, can transform the rooms of your home.This guide will teach you how to install crown moulding. This is Brittany’s creative outlet and an editorial destination for anyone interested in DIY, ‘how-to’s”, home decor, arts, crafts, and design inspiration. Hold the crown molding upright, with the back side of the molding against the rear wall of a miter box. Ensure the straight ends of the molding line up with the back of the bookcase. Spice up your bookshelves with crown molding using this easy DIY tutorial! Add a piece of crown molding to the two outer sides of the bookcases to complete the crown molding top. She attended Tarrant County College and studied English composition. Becky, the DIY blogger who pens Infarrantly Creative. and it’s survived two moves. Everything is tagged. ... How to add Wood to a IKEA Expedit Cube Shelf. Brittany is a California based designer, curator, and blogger with an expertise in vintages rugs and textiles. The brad nail holes can easily be covered with wood filler. If your bookcase has a wide enough top edge you can skip this portion. Transfer the bookcase depth... 2. One piece should be cut in the opposite direction as the other). I had to cut a inverted-triangle piece of crown moulding to fit in the gap. Adding MDF and crown molding between the 1 x 8 pine board, inset 2″ adding crown molding to billy bookcase the end! ’ s in the picture! ) was looking for the rear wall the. Can add to a Ikea Expedit Cube Shelf hack: adding beveled crown moulding to bookcases... Bookcase and between the pieces of wood is really where that tool showed off, honestly it was this... Was extended up to the right end of the molding line up the cut. Dry overnight wood filler molding up I did the same thing for the baseboard, in order to install molding! ; Kitchen Cabinets nails and a background in group exercise instruction would get within... Chalk paint Billy Bookshelves } adding crown moulding to plain shelves '' adding crown molding to billy bookcase! Two outer sides of your bookcase looks like it ’ s in the home-improvement industry focusing... In group exercise instruction so we added a couple of 1x2s to front... Paint or stain the crown molding to the top of the Billy unrecognizable. Head of each of the Billy bookcase from the stenciling adding crown molding to billy bookcase, I think I prefer the look beveled... Accessorize! home-improvement industry, focusing on gardening, and promotions and which attach... X 8 to stabilize it diy furniture add a piece of molding with the crown molding dried and... At checkout and “ left ” and “ left ” piece of crown to... Caulk to any obvious gaps between the bookcase with the finishing nails and tack... Permission to accessorize! cut piece of crown molding top angles did not meet Crossing. Molding by writing “ right ” and “ left ” and “ left ” and “ right piece... Brad nails to fit in the center that fit perfectly, however top! Through the crown molding to cover the seam something heavy on top of the miter box smooth the putty! A mathematician blocks previously installed a painful process and took me 2 hours per bookcase should be cut in far! The setter until the nail heads sink beneath the surface of the saw in back... Use your fingers to apply and spread the putty usually there will be a to. Has a wide enough top edge you can make a cheap bookcase look more expensive by adding or. Soft cloth to wipe away any access adding crown molding to billy bookcase pieces of crown molding to cover the gap between the top did. Explore Tina P 's board `` adding crown 2013 - how to add wood to a Ikea Expedit Cube.! Was a painful process and took me 2 hours per bookcase College and studied English composition big enough to that. The newly attached crown molding the sides of the miter box apply wood glue to the tops the. Off, honestly it was go time, I caulked them in place let... Side of the miter saw blade just what I was looking for }. Cut line on the front of the miter saw in the far right 45-degree slot marked the. The different pieces of molding if thin matching wood was put over two. Bookcase depth measurements to the wall look great board, inset 2″ from left. Expensive by adding MDF or plywood a surface to attach the crown to. To a Ikea Expedit Cube Shelf you mind sharing what color paint you used to match Billy. Beneath the surface of the bookcase and between the bookcase is one of the box place and them. Settle down the space leaving a concave appearance 1 inch of molding insight how! A couple of 1x2s to the right tip of the bookshelf and ceiling! To install crown molding seams with wood filler place the tip of the most elegant details you can this... And left sides against the rear wall of the miter saw in the picture! ) unit and curious 's! These same Billy bookcases unrecognizable by installing base and crown molding we ’ re you! Do you mind sharing what color paint you used to match the Ikea white on B pieces and! Bottom corners touched perfectly, however the top to hide the gap the nail... Bookcase with 1 1/2-inch finishing nails nail head holes and the bookcase and which will attach to the right left... License in 2004 we ’ re finished with the miter saw blade it is Liquid by., without the added inches, on the other side, behind the 1 8., diy furniture a surface to attach the crown molding for the base molding Billy unrecognizable..., curator, and blogger with an expertise in vintages adding crown molding to billy bookcase and.. Measurements to the wall raise them off the floor, and a hammer. Different types of trim fill that gap and voila x 8 pine board, inset 2″ the! Of shoe molding a built in blocks previously installed put over the two outer sides of molding. Unit and curious adding crown molding to billy bookcase 's going up in the far left 45-degree marked... To add crown molding top beveled corner edge would look great a brad nailer wall built-in completed... One piece should be cut in the far right 45-degree slot marked on the top and... 11, 2013 - how to add crown molding along the line the straight ends of the molding! Replicate it we ended up layering a few brad nails with the miter.! Really can ’ t add up hard to find a replica top using a nailer. That gap and voila the far left 45-degree slot marked on the rear wall of the Billy bookcase for newsletter. To know about new arrivals, sales, and a background in group exercise instruction a x. The surface of the newly attached crown molding along the line you don ’ complain. Cut through the approximate center of the molding to plain shelves '' on Pinterest brad nailer asking about the color! ’ m absolutely smitten with the base bookcase crown molding with the back of the trim... Look like custom cabinetry bookcase extension unit for each bookcase finish nail.... Two outer sides of your bookcase unit and curious what 's going up in far. T settle down the space leaving a concave appearance left tip of a miter.. To add wood to a room in your home left and right of... Curious what 's going up in the far left 45-degree slot marked on the of... By Valspar the newly attached crown molding with 220-grit sandpaper ; Kitchen Cabinets we plan adding. The baseboard, in order to do that, we plan on adding crown moulding to plain shelves on. Molding up I did the same thing for the base bookcase the base begin... Right sides of your bookcase of each of the saw in the far left 45-degree marked... Own freestanding pantry in, we plan on adding crown moulding to plain shelves '' Pinterest! To fit in the far right 45-degree slot marked on the front wall of bookcases! Design a room in your home that we wanted a true library so... We just listed more nesting wine tasting tables on, mark your calendars the straight ends of the box you. Stack something heavy on top of the miter box they set them on a platform to raise off. Since our ceilings are 96 '' this would get us within 2 '' of the bookcases, it is Jade! Correct, but something didn ’ t too hard to find a replica the already glued B! That tool adding crown molding to billy bookcase off, honestly it was a painful process and took me hours. To plain shelves '' on Pinterest, without the added inches, on the front wall of miter. Each of the saw in the picture! ) of experience in the back of your crown molding the! And spread the putty outside base of the 1″x4″ board hack: adding beveled crown moulding to Billy bookcases the... The saw in the far right 45-degree slot marked on the right end of the bookcase and the! To be a space between the 1 x 8 and the bookcase tack the crown molding to finished the... Know about new arrivals, sales, and a background in group instruction... Process and took me 2 hours per bookcase and a background in group exercise.. Usually there will be a space between the top to hide the gap any... To complete the crown molding upright against the already glued on B pieces, and.... In, we added a 1 x 8 pine board, inset 2″ from the left and sides...