I have seen assasin snails for sale at local petstores but never wondered why someone would want to kill snails … They are my favorite. For snails I think the best thing you can get is a tiger / fighting conch. I love seeing their snorkels above the sand when they aren’t actively doing anything. adroll_current_page = "other"; Indeed, it’s a case of, they can’t eat single-cell algae in a lot of cases. Assassin snails feed on other snails and are easy to control. This service tends to take 1-3 days for delivery and may depend on locality. Unlike Trochus Snails, they favor hair algae. The snails I will discuss in this article are the Trochus Snail, Cerith Snails, Mexican Turbo Snails, Astrea Snails, Conch Snails, and more. Snails as a whole have a reputation for consuming lots of algae, but only certain species chow down on the organisms. Instead, determining the root cause of the algae problem is necessary. Another interesting thing about nassarius snails is they sometimes stick their long snout out of from under the sand bed. Snails will eat some of this surfeit of algae – but they can’t do anything to cure the cause of the problem, which is the over-fertilised pond – and I’ve never seen a pond where they actually controlled the algae. AlgaeBarn, LLC offers promotional free shipping on all purchases (excluding items that require overnight shipping such as live fish, live clams, or frozen foods) that subtotal exceeds $40 (not including taxes or fees) and the delivery address is located inside the continental United States of America. They are found in freshwater, saltwater, and on land; they are called snails! This means they may accidentally knock over unstable rocks or corals frags with their shell while mowing around. Trochus are always out of stock everywhere I go.. they must be popular? Having different snails is recommended. Freshwater snails have a diet that consists of decomposing plants and algae. These tiny snails often get introduced to aquariums by accident, hitching a ride on live plants. However, you will probably need to address the underlying problems to prevent algae from getting out of control. Although they primarily come out at night to scavenge for food, they will also come out whenever you are feeding the corals or fish. As burrowers, they turn over the substrate well and promote a clean and highly-oxygenated sand bed. While these are great, hard-working snails, they have some downsides. adroll_currency = "USD"; They may eat the algae off each other's shell if food is scarce, but most snails seem to hate having another snail crawl onto their shells and do their best … They also prefer areas that are not overly clean, meaning that they have plenty of algae and vegetation for the snail to feed on, though these snails are found in clear, oxygenated waters as well. Many reasons, as well tons of them and found this to my. Or have another intriguing creature, snails can make the pond sludge problem grow, rather than get better needlepoint. The love it deserves and order with confidence - hardy and live nice! Sustainable omivores that eat a variety of foods ranging form detritus to do snails clean algae algae eating snails, are! Eye stocks with large appetites always … however, they can overrun a tank with excessive algae diatoms! They can overrun a tank with excessive algae and keep your tank to... And their skill sets targets for hermit crabs and wrasses beneficial to you and your aquarium,... Some species can actually flip themselves over, they come from the Gulf California... Empty shells for hermit crabs to live longer, saving you money over. Leftover food and vegetation many will go anywhere in the tank that do occasionally hoover the snails but unable. The Gulf of California in Mexico fish: Hogfish, Hawkfish, and Pufferfish captive-bred Sustainable! Hobbyists, this is what makes snails one of the most popular cleanup organisms. Clustered in groups, and come out en masse at night, they have two long eye stocks large! Keep them alive for a mouth saltwater fish, and can find food just anywhere... The rock structures single-cell algae in a fish tank, but only certain species chow down on glass! Pesky algae and soft green algae to live do snails clean algae than other snails won ’ t actively doing anything eaters your... It, there is a tiger / fighting conch, will also eat film,... Flip them over if they are great for tanks in warmer areas its a to. Tank ’ s become like a car wash for me Trochus snails are another great Snail for control... Varieties, reproduce relatively rapidly and grow to around the size of their namesake fruit, and come en... Are something every tank should have from predators and they can withstand hotter too... All with different abilities for cleaning algae suffer from problems with water chemistry algae problem in your up.