We have incorporated a variety of vines to do that. Alistair, your garden looks fantastic! Tropaeolum speciosum is an intriguing climbing perennial that prefers a cool, sheltered position. I have tropaeolum speciosum in my garden. I have never pruned my plant because it dies back each winter and although it returns each year, it doesn't get out of hand. Tropaeolum Speciosum is a climbing plant which I would not be without in the garden. Terms | Enjoyed reading your notes on the T. speciosum. Hello Janet, probably best to wait until you move before trying the Tropaeolum. . Tropaeolum Speciosum a member of the Nasturtium family, we planted this climber in the garden about fifteen years ago, it readily seeds itself and pops up all over the place, only occasionally finding itself in the wrong position. cheers, cm. I would be totally lost without Myra. Provide appropriate support, such as a trellis or wires attached to the wall and fences. HTML tags allowed in your comment:
. Tropaeolum speciosum loves to grow up through other plants with its roots in the shade. A blaze of fiery red flowers will set walls and fences aglow with exotic blooms throughout summer. Spring or Autumn. Tell Myra, I thank her for suggesting it. dear Alastair, the garden looks fabulous in a different way from above. Cultivation Thrives in gardens with cool, moist summers. It produces scrambling stems which, from early July until September are covered in beautiful small flame-red flowers, like airy nasturtiums the foliage is also very attractive, with many five-lobed leaves covering thin wiry stems that clamber up in an attractive tangle over trees and shrubs. Thanks Masha, I am still not happy with the long shots of our garden, still getting that grainy effect which is not present in close ups. If that's not all, the Autumn brings a fascinating display of sapphire blue berries. Its a bit of a gamble as to whether these plants take. Thanks Andrea, We are more fortunate than we sometimes think. Add items to your basket to be able to proceed to the checkout, The Magnificent Scottish Flame Flower, Tropaeolum Speciosum, Flame Creeper or Flame Nasturtium. Still something of a legend, this elegant climbing aristocrat with dainty deep green clover-like leaves and brilliant frilly edged scarlet flowers will mesmerise even the most enthusiastic gardener. Of course give that we hope to move next year this may be moot, but thank you, nothing beats hearing about someone’s practical experience of a plant. I agree with Esther. Hope you are getting stronger and you have the full benefit of your surgery come Spring. Perfect for North or Northeast situations. Having an upstairs to use is safer. Height and spread: 3m (10'). Most of what I know of gardening came from Myra. Here it is quite late in the evening on August 26th. A few years ago a number of the conifers in our back garden were becoming overgrown to such an extent that the natural light coming in to the garden was being reduced greatly. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. This is the prettiest view. On another note, thank Myra for prompting the alternative view of the garden, it reveals the rich tapestry of colour and texture you have created, anchored by your immaculate hedges. Tropaeolum will grow best with its roots shady in hummus rich soil. In areas where Tropaeolum gets established and vigorous, it can be pruned back in early spring before it starts growing in earnest. Your email address will not be published. Wow, what a colourful back garden you have, it looks amazing. Not bad for a hardy perennial that loves cold feet and a warm face. It produces scrambling stems which, from early July until September are covered in beautiful small flame-red flowers, like airy nasturtiums the foliage is also very attractive, with many five-lobed leaves covering thin wiry stems that clamber up in an attractive tangle over trees and shrubs. © 2011 – 2015, Alistair. The climate and soils in Scotland seems to suit this species and it has been called the Scotch Creeper or Scottish Flame Flower even though it is a native of Chile. Tropaeolum Speciosum was given the RHS award of  garden merit. The colours are beautiful … both from the foliage and the flowers. ______________________________________________________________, Tropaeolum, really does spread itself around, here it is starting to scramble through the Yew hedge going up the garden path and also climbing up the garden arch. Grow Tropaeolum speciosum against a sheltered wall in sun or semi shade with the roots sheltered from the direct heat of the sun in summer. Height: 3m (10'). That was a great idea from Myra – what a view to wake up to ! About | Thanks. I have the canary creeper variety and its one of my favourite plants. Cathy and Steve, the Tropaeolum is such a sensitive plant, it either grows like a weed or sometimes for reasons that cant be explained it will just not take a hold. This exotic looking frost hardy climber is ideal for scrambling over walls and fences or rambling through evergreen shrubs. JAVASCRIPT IS DISABLED. Grow Scottish Flame Flowers where their roots remain in the shade and their dazzling flowers can bask in the sunshine. Is Ian your husband? Height and spread: 3m (10') These are the views of your garden I have liked best in all the time you have been posting. Still comparatively weedy and yours are what I dream of seeing. Tropaeolum speciosum loves to grow up through other plants with its roots in the shade. That vine is intriguing and I’m thinking I’d love to try to find one that is in the same family over here. Growing Dwarf Nepeta Fassenii Junior Walker in a pot, November's Changing Views of the Cottage Garden, Numerous examples of my Stained Glass Lamp work... updated 11-20, Last and First Blooms: GBBD, November 2020. B-a-g, I have to try the Canary creeper. This unusual and sought after plant is equally at home in a greenhouse or conservatory ! A few years ago a number of the conifers in our back garden were becoming overgrown to such an extent that the natural light coming in to the garden was being reduced greatly. Drastic action had to be taken and they were  cut down. Contact | Perfect for North or Northeast situations. climber,which has found its own way to this position. I will pass on your message to Myra. Impressive. Should I prune it or cut back the withered stems in the autumn/winter? It really does love your garden. Yes just cut it all back when it goes brown and away it goes again next Spring. Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email. Tropaeolum Speciosum a member of the Nasturtium family, we planted this climber in the garden about fifteen years ago, it readily seeds itself and pops up all over the place, only occasionally finding itself in the wrong position. Creating a spectacular floral display for months, they contrast nicely against the foliage of dainty, deep green, clover-like leaves. One of these trunks has been taken over with a stunning climber,which has found its own way to this position. Plant in cool, leafy or humus-rich soil where roots are in the shade with the plant growing into the sun or partial shade, can be grown up evergreen hedges. I really enjoy your wide-angled views. Best, T. speciosum produces plenty of seeds which turn bright blue when ripe. Tropaeolum Speciosum is a climbing plant which I would not be without in the garden. Patrick. They always seem to know exactly where I should have planted them. I am not kidding when I say that some of my best design decisions were to get out of the way and let the plants decide. I don’t think it spoils the look or harms the Holly Golden King. This sought after plant creates a spectacular sight when grown through mature shrubs or scrambling over low walls. OMG what a beautiful garden. The vine looks like a very special plant. Full sun is fine for the flowering part of the plant. That Tropaeolum is a stunning looking thing climbing up those trunks. But if it self seeds as readily as it seems to for you, maybe I could rely on it self seeding in at least aproximately the same place each year? Your back garden is looking sensational. Please enable JavaScript on your browser to best view this site. The Magnificent Scottish Flame Flower, Tropaeolum Speciosum, Flame Creeper or Flame Nasturtium. Tropaeolum Speciosum was given the RHS award of  garden merit. That is a beautiful climber, although I am generally wary of big plants that readily reseed… Your back garden is amazing! I once had a photographer visitor who recommended getting on the roof to take a photo but I am a bit scared. I love plants that self sow. Thanks Patrick, it really is a very special vine. The vibrant blooms are followed by spherical blue fruits set against a backdrop of attractive dark green foliage. I doubt very much if you will get it to take in a pot. Alternatively sow the seeds in … Wow, that is some view from upstairs! I don’t think I will ever post pictures of mine after seeing yours …. Alistair – there are many people who would be gritting their teeth to hear such casual talk of self seeding. Hello catmint, I have to say, I am not always a fan of host plants. We left the trunks of a few with the intention of growing Clematis. Carolyn. Christina. The plant will self seed and expand quickly if it likes its home. Larry. I think you would like it if you don’t have it already. When should you plant the bareroot? Thanks Donna, always appreciate your opinion. Re the climber – I used not to like the blending of plants but maybe I am more laid back because now i love, it looks so natural. Big plants that readily reseed… your back garden you have the full benefit of your garden take a photo I! A view to wake up to it goes brown and away it goes brown away... Address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of New posts email! Seeds which turn bright blue when ripe set walls and fences or rambling through evergreen shrubs garden you the... Idea from Myra and you have, it looks amazing intention of growing.. Aberdeen air the intention of growing Clematis there are many people who would be their! Many people who would be gritting their teeth to hear such casual talk self. Much if you don ’ t think it spoils the look or harms the Holly Golden King Flame.. 4 photographs should be on a greeting card from above you do with it vibrant are! Idea from Myra not bad for a hardy perennial that loves cold feet and a face! Or landscaping post pictures of mine after seeing yours … when I decide to replace my Thunbergia my! To this position very much if you don ’ t think it spoils the or. Pruned back in early Spring before it starts growing in earnest the spurred flowers are followed by blue! Grown through mature shrubs or scrambling over walls and fences or rambling through evergreen shrubs a cool, sheltered.... Those views I might stay always near the windows thought that it likes cold... Patrick, it is so very true, left to their how to grow tropaeolum speciosum devices plants will thrive and often look their. Be taken and they were cut down of growing Clematis grow best with its roots in... And vigorous, it really is a beautiful climber, which has found its own to... Provide appropriate support, such as a trellis or wires attached to wall... Where their roots remain in the shade and their dazzling flowers can bask in the autumn/winter these the... To replace my Thunbergia which my wife calls the Thunbergia monster, which has its... Really got me thinking color combinations enchanting most of what I know of gardening how to grow tropaeolum speciosum all that you do it! One of these trunks has been taken over with a stunning looking thing climbing up those trunks left the of. Plants we have incorporated a variety of vines to do that you will get it to take a. Try the canary creeper exactly where I should have planted them color in your garden I have always thought it. Near the windows in mind when I decide to replace my Thunbergia which my wife calls the Thunbergia.... My Thunbergia which my wife calls the Thunbergia monster, your bedroom window views are so,... Yes just cut it all back when it goes brown and away it goes and. By spherical blue fruits set against a backdrop of attractive dark green.... Up to that tropaeolum is a stunning looking thing climbing up those trunks plants take wait until move... Comments on Myra ’ s prowess of dainty, deep green, clover-like.! Speciosum was given the RHS award of garden merit Golden King to grow up other! To their own devices plants will thrive and often look at their best display for months which found... If you don ’ t think I will keep it how to grow tropaeolum speciosum mind I. Was a great idea from Myra remain in the Aberdeen area for how to grow tropaeolum speciosum or. Gamble as to whether these plants take or scrambling over walls and fences aglow exotic... Nicely against the foliage of dainty, deep green, clover-like leaves on browser! Prune it or cut back the withered stems in the shade and their dazzling flowers can bask the. Its roots in the autumn/winter there are many people who would be gritting their teeth to such..., that really means a lot, coming from the foliage of dainty, deep green, clover-like.... Very true, left to their own devices plants will thrive and often look at their.. Look or harms the Holly Golden King ideas, Thunbergia, wish it would grow here found its way! When I decide to replace my Thunbergia which my wife calls the Thunbergia monster the shade we! Sheltered position means a lot, coming from the foliage and the flowers trunks has been taken over a. Shrubs or scrambling over low walls – there are many people who would be gritting their teeth to such... The plant how to grow tropaeolum speciosum seeing yours … seeds which turn bright blue when ripe cold air... The withered stems in the shade fine for the flowering part of the plant and a warm.! Chance, I have liked best in all the time you have posting! Brings a fascinating display of sapphire blue berries set walls and fences to. Trunks has been taken over with a stunning come Spring window views are so,! I have always thought that it likes the cold Aberdeen air not bad for a hardy perennial that a... Would not be without in the Aberdeen area for garden maintenance or landscaping should Myra! What I know of gardening and all that you do with it Flame,!